Wednesday 5 January 2011

Editing - day 1

Back to school from the Christmas holidays and straight back into Media and editing our footage.

I have finally got used to Final Cut and am learning quite quickly how it works and how to get a good effects and how to add in simple transitions.


Here I have added in my titles to the film to give it the effect of it being a horror film. I made these using Live Type which allowed me to add effects to the wording, to change the colour and to change the font. I chose black and white as they have a clear contract and are bold and striking. The transition i have used also makes it feel like a horror film and the font type is old fashioned.



Here I have added cross dissolves when my titles appear after a shot. I did this so that its not as blunt from one shot to another but it gently from one shot to another.



Here I have done some continuity editing to make the filming flow easier. I managed this quite easily after being worried about if I could make it look effective. It took some time to get it just right but I am happy with the final outcome. Also here I have kept some sound in the filming which doesn't appear anywhere else so far. This is just general speech. I deleted all other sound as I want to add music and some directions to the actor.



Here is the piece of editing I am most worried about. I wanted it to be smooth and to do so would use continuity editing. I have used continuity but it doesn't look as smooth from one shot to another as I would have liked. This will definitely be something to go back to after my first edit is complete. 



So this is where I left my editing today. I have already edited 1 minute and 17 seconds of my footage. It is not perfect but I am happy with how much I have achieved from two lessons work. 



Next lesson:
Next week I plan to do some more editing but I have decided to focus on putting in sound and music. I have decided to do this as it will show me how far I have come with the editing process and also if the music fits in with the filming. This is important as the music really builds the atmosphere for opening sequence and makes it feel more like a horror film. 




No comments:

Post a Comment