Wednesday 26 January 2011

Peer Assessment

In class we decided to do a group Peer Assessment. We all sat around a table whist everyones opening sequence was played one by one. We wrote feedback on targets and on what we thought they did well in their filming and editing. Here is the feedback I got:



What I did well:
  • I had a good use of music which showed off the genre well and really helped to set the scene
  • The lighting from the candle and the match in the first part of my opening sequence was a lovely source of light.
  • The music changes to mimic the mood which helps the audience to understand what was happening.
  • The child's laugh is very effective.
  • The titles were good and the continuity editing looked smooth. 
  • The title effects are really nice.
My comments:
From this feedback I feel I have got the music spot on for the genre (horror) I was aiming for. I'm also glad I went down the route of adding in the child laugh as it seemed to have an effect on the audience. I also feel the editing has gone well as the continuity of it all looked smooth and effective. 



Improvements:
  • The music could have more of a subtle change, possibly add a dissolve.
  • Make the last shot longer so the audience can see and read what was on the mirror.
  • Not sure on title length.
  • The volume of the second piece of music could be softened.
  • One title appeared twice!
  • Titles could be in a better order.
My comments:
I agree that the music could have been more subtle. The change between the two was very dramatic and didn't cause the right effect. Again, I agree with the next comment on how the mirror shot could last longer. It was hard to read what it said in the time given. I was actually happy with the title length. It is not a social realism film and I think the title length adds to the horror genre.



How I will improve:
  1. Add a dissolve to the end of one song and the beginning of the other to make sure the fade in and out subtly.
  2. I will re-film the last shot as she spoke in it and I don't want want speech. Therefore it will last longer and the audience will be able to read the writing.
  3. I will keep the title length the same as when I did research on horror films the titles did last longer which was effective and caused suspense. 
  4. I will soften the second piece of music.
  5. I will remove the title which appears twice.
  6. Lastly I like the order my titles appear in and I think it is a good order so I'm going to keep it the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment